It's that time of year where you are attending party after party and you may have one too many cocktails or Christmas cookies. Don't worry, don't beat yourself up mentally, I know your body is taking a toll physically, so that's clearly enough. I know that when I derail from my lifestyle I feel bloated, tired, cranky, unbalanced, short tempered and the cravings begin. Yes, food is that powerful and you especially notice it when you eat clean, hydrate and take care of yourself. One night of poor eating habits can disrupt your micro-biome and blood sugar-translation...suppress your immune system and turn on all sorts of cravings and insatiable hunger.
That said, here are my top tips to get back on track and "reverse" any damage that you have done to your metabolism and micro-biome. The quicker you can get the toxins and gluten out of your system, the better you will feel and the body can start the recovery process.
- Digestive Enzymes. Digestive enzymes help speed up the breakdown and absorption of macro-nutrients.
- Binding agents. Activated charcoal and bentonite clay bind toxins and help reduce gas and bloating. It’s best to increase water intake when taking either of these to avoid constipation, which will only delay healing.
- Hydration. Fluids will help flush your system and keep you hydrated. In addition to regular water, you can try coconut water, which contains electrolytes.
- Omega-3 fatty acids. Fish oils, flax and chia seeds are full of anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids. I recommend 1-2 grams of Omega 3 fatty acids oils daily. You can go up to 4 grams a day for a week after a holiday party where you over indulged.
- Ginger has high levels of gingerol, which gives it a natural spicy flavor and acts as an anti-inflammatory in the body. It also has potent anti-nausea properties and can ease stomach cramping. I like to drink warm ginger as a comforting, anti-inflammatory beverage.
- Turmeric is a member of the ginger family that contains the active ingredient curcumin, which is known for its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. This will help calm systemic inflammation and shuttle the body back into a balanced state.
Try this tips the next time you've overindulged at your next party-with adequate rest and getting back to your clean eating regimen, you'll start feeling better within a day or so, depending upon the health of your immune system.