Cravings. We all have them. Some are emotional, even habitual, whereas other times it's the body sending you an email, telling you it's missing something.
Physiological cravings occur on a cellular level, often a result of a low nutrient dense diet-a diet high in processed food, sugar, wheat, dairy, caffeine and alcohol.
When we start nourishing the body on a cellular level, by incorporating a wide variety of healthy fats, wild animal proteins and RAINBOW foods, cravings magically diminish.
If you crave chocolate, you are likely low in magnesium-which is one of the most common macro-mineral deficiencies, especially during a women's cycle.
So the next time you crave chocolate, tune in and ask yourself the following questions.
- Did I get enough healthy fat?
- Did I get adequate protein?
- Am I dehydrated? (a common reason for hunger-drink a glass of water)
- Am I getting enough magnesium rich foods?
Here is my favorite magnesium boosting smoothie which I like to incorporate after playing tennis or a HIIT workout, or anytime my body is screaming for magnesium. It satisfies my sweet tooth, while replenishing my magnesium stores!
The 5 Hour Metabolic Dark Chocolate Smoothie!
This smoothie is high in healthy fats, fiber and protein which will keep you satisfied for at least 5 hours plus the raw cacao is rich in magnesium, a super mineral responsible for supporting hormonal health and 300 other biochemical processes in the body! Enjoy!
- 1 cup UNSWEETENED chocolate almond milk
- 1 chopped frozen banana (rich in potassium)
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder (rich in magnesium)
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds (rich in omega 3 fats and plant protein)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds ( rich in omega 3 fats, fiber and plant protein)
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened almond or sunflower butter
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter
- for fat-loss 1 teaspoon swerve OR for maintenance 1 teaspoon of raw honey
- 1/2 cup water
- optional* 1 scoop vegan or chocolate bone broth protein powder (no carbs)
- *optional ice 2-3 cubes
Blend. Rock. Roll.