Chocolate Covered Apple Nachos

When I start working with new clients they are often shocked when I tell them that they don't have to give up their treats while sacrificing their health or waistline. Treats are encouraged and compliment a healthy lifestyle.

That said, there are THREE rules to treating yourself to a treat!

  • A healthy diet consists of eating whole foods 90% of the time and indulging in holistic treats the remaining 10%. If you stick to this guideline, you can have your kale, wine and dark chocolate too.
  • You MUST prepare your treats from scratch and use clean ingredients that the body can recognize, digest and assimilate. Your body isn't a fan of white sugar, industrial seed oils and white flour. These are high inflammatory foods that drive inflammation, disease and weight gain.Sorry, no more grocery store doughnuts-just make them yourselves.
  • Don't skip or deprive yourself of treats because this will lead to a binge or disordered eating. The key is to consume a whole foods diet 90% of the time and plan accordingly for those times when you want to indulge.


This is a simple, clean treat that is high in magnesium, iron and healthy fats. The raw cacao is rich in antioxidants which slow down cellular ageing and the fiber from the apple will satisfy you, while providing you with a touch of sweetness.

*Serves 1


1 granny smith apple (any apple will work), cored & sliced into rounds or thin wedges

1/2 tablespoon unsweetened nut butter, warmed

2 squares of 73% (or more) dark chocolate or chocolate chips, melted

Topping suggestions:

unsweetened, unsulphured dried fruit (chopped apricots, cherries, goji or blueberries)

homemade granola

freeze dried berries

pinch of Himalayan pink sea salt (rich in 84 natural minerals)

crushed, slivered or chopped raw nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, macadamia)

raw seeds (hemp, flax, chia, pumpkin or sesame)

unsweetened shredded coconut

pinch of cinnamon (balanced blood sugar)


Remove core and slice apple into rounds or thin wedges. Melt the chocolate, careful not to scorch.. Warm the nut butter. Spread the apples onto a plate. Drizzle the melted chocolate and warmed nut butter. Next, sprinkle toppings, and chill until set or enjoy immediately.