Food is medicine, your kitchen is your pharmacy and your LIFE-style is your prescription for vibrant health.
Sounds pretty simple, right?
It is, but we seem to get in our own way by getting stuck in all sorts of ruts (a.k.a. bad habits):
- proccessed food rut
- sleep deprivation rut
- anti-exercise rut
- no veggie consumption rut
- too much wine and coffee rut.
- pasta rut
- I'll start in the new year rut
- not packing a healthy lunch rut
You get the picture.
What is the current snapshot of your health-what symptoms are your receiving from your body to check in?
How are you feeling in your skin?
Muscle pains or cramps?
Chronic colds and sinus infections?
Symptoms-anything from extreme hunger after eating, dry brittle nails and skin, chronic colds to muscle cramps are all signals that your body needs some TLC.
For example, muscle cramps can be a sign of:
- Dehydration- are your staying hydrated?
- Low blood calcium : low vitamin D levels and a high acid diet can inhibit the absorption of calcium
- Low blood magnesium levels: diabetes, poor diet, stress, chronic disease, medications, low vitamin D levels, excess alcohol consumption
- Low potassium levels: The most common cause is excessive potassium loss in urine due to prescription medications that increase urination. Also known as water pills or diuretics, these types of medications are often prescribed for people who have high blood pressure or heart disease.
Regardless of the symptom(s), the best line of defense is managing your lifestyle with self care and optimizing your health with a nutrient dense, REAL FOOD diet.
If you suffer from muscle cramps, chocolate cravings, or often have feelings of anxiety, your body is likely craving magnesium rich foods. Magnesium is one of the 11 most common deficiencies, followed by vitamins D, K2, B12, E, and A, omega-3, magnesium, iodine, calcium, iron, and choline.
The best way to get these vitamins and minerals is through REAL FOOD and of course living a healthy lifestyle. Our bodies know exactly what to do with these nutrients when we consume them-they utilize them!
Here is my favorite smoothie bowl abundant in magnesium, iron, plant based protein, plant based omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants! There's nothing more satisfying then a delicious smoothie bowl that is brimming in nutrition with none of the guilt!
Raw Cacao Cherry Beauty Bowl
- 1 heaping CUP frozen organic cherries (Vit E & antioxidants)
- 1 T mixed nut butter (Trader Joe's) or any natural nut butter
- 1 T coconut butter or coconut oil (healthy, antibacterial fats)
- 1 T chia seeds (protein & plant based Omega 3's)
- 2 T raw cacao (iron, magnesium, fiber, sulfur & antioxidants)
- 1/2 Cup unsweetened almond, coconut or kefir (if tolerated milk)
Combine all ingredients in high speed blender until well combined. Pour into bowl and garnish with unsweetened coconut flakes if desired!
Happy nutrient bulding!