Melissa R. 41, Lancaster, Pa
So often we think MORE is a better when it comes to fat-loss. Not when it comes to our delicate hormonal system. When we restrict calories and overtrain an already "stressed" body, it backfires. Nothing changes and you begin to feel worse as it continues to spiral out of control.
Meet Melissa, a 41-year old busy mom who use to spend 5 days a week at the gym working out 1.5 hours a day. This combined with years of "dieting" and synthetic birth control use wreaked havoc on her hormonal system, driving anxiety, irregular cycles and sleepness nights. Now she's feeling great, her anxiety is non-existent and she's now sleeping through the night. No more calorie counting or pushing her body beyond what it really needs.
What was your “WHY” to embark on your health & wellness journey with a health and nutrition coach?
- I was having panic attacks that were unexplained. I couldn’t fall asleep or sleep through the night.
Were you able to stop taking any medications or heal a health condition?
- I’ve been able to fall asleep and sleep through the night. I’ve also been able to significantly reduce the number of panic attacks to almost nothing.
(*if applicable) How many inches and pounds have you lost with Thrive 9? What dress/pant size did you start with and what size are you now?
- same size but have taken out my running
How long did it take you to reach your goal (s)? Do you feel that the lifestyle program is sustainable?
- It’s taken 5- 6 months to really feel better and feel that it is sustainable. I want to continue feeling good so I need to continue to follow what I’ve been doing.
What programs/diets have you tried in the past? How did they fail you?
- I've tried Beachbody and Les Mills programs but they didn’t help me with the food for me.
What is the most valuable piece of info you’ve learned with Thrive 9?
- That there are several ways to make the podium and that if I don’t hit GOLD every day that’s ok. To at least bronze medal and I’ll still feel good.
What does a typical Thrive 9 day look for you food-wise now? Have you established your morning routine?
- eggs, spinach, sauerkraut and sometimes GF toast with butter or a Thrive minute muffin
Have you established a regular fitness practice? If so, what have you changed or added?
- yoga in the evening to de-stress and hitting 10k steps a day. Completely took out running which I was doing 3 days a week.
How do you look at food now? What is the biggest takeaway you’ve learned through Thrive 9?
- So many different veggies/fruit to try. Eating more colors of the rainbow.
What other improvements besides fat-loss have you seen in your overall health?
- my skin is really clear and the energy level is great. Not having the cravings like I used to. Completely cut out coffee and only have it every now and then with a meal before 11 am.
What is the biggest diet & exercise myth that Thrive9 busted for you?
- That we’ve got to work out to death to get the body we want. I use to work out at the gym 5 days a week 1 to 1 1/2 hours a day and couldn’t figure out why I couldn’t drop the weight. I wasn’t fueling my body with the right foods and was over-exercising.
Do you enjoy to move/exercise & eat whole foods now?
- yes! I love trying new recipes that are simple.
Do you count calories or measure your food?
Do you still eat all of your favorite things?
- yes but rarely. I know they are my triggers and don’t have them in my house.
Have you worked with a health, nutrition and lifestyle coach before? How was your coaching experience with Christine?
- yes I’ve worked with someone else in the past but it was through beach body. They didn’t have the tools that I needed that I felt could help me with my issues. I needed someone who would listen to my symptoms and look at every part of my well-being to help me. I knew when I met with Christine it was going to be a process and that I needed to be patient with myself. Slowing down, being intentional has been a huge shift for me. Turning off the electronics at 7 or 8 pm, getting up at the same time every day. Following my supplement regimen, eating the rainbow, and yoga have all been extremely helpful in my healing process. Never would I thought that my hormones were so out of wack that it was causing my body to react the way it did with panic attacks. Christine tried to work through what we suspected were hormonal issues before taking it to the next level. She’s conservative in her approach and I appreciate that. I’m so thankful for Christine's expertise and guidance throughout this whole process. It’s been quite a journey for me but I feel so much better.